Monday 13 August 2018

LEJOG Day 20 - Abergavenny to Glasbury

I left Abergavenny  on a beautiful sunny morning  and began climbing steeply towards Sugar Loaf mountain. Today's  walk passed through the Brecon Beacon  National Park and proved to be the best and most scenic walking so far. At times, there was a real sense of isolation and remoteness. I reached the foot of Sugar Loaf  but had no intention of climbing it as I had a long day ahead with a number of steep climbs and I needed to conserve my energy. I had visited the summit in 1996 when staying with the Ramblers at the now boarded up hostel in Abergavenny, so had no desire to lug my full pack up there.

Dropping down into the next valley, I followed a tiny, tarmac lane to the head of the valley and began climbing to a pass on a ridge at around 600 mtrs/2,000ft near to the peak of  Waun Fach. As I climbed, the cloud closed in and a fairly strong breeze blew a little light drizzle causing me to put on my rain jacket. Once on the summit of the pass, I descended on a path that infuriatingly disappeared and I had to improvise my descent into the valley. The rest of the walk was a slog along more tiny, deserted country lanes to Glasbury, where I had a room booked. I walked 40k/25 miles and arrived feeling shattered at the bed and breakfast having walked around 150 miles over the preceding week. Cumulative 625.6k/391miles

Blorenge

Sugar Loaf

Descending from Sugar  Loaf 



The climb to the pass

No comments:

Post a Comment