Wednesday 29 June 2022

Hiking the Right Way - Return to the Pennine Way


On Cauldron Snout in 2015

Having decided to walk Wainwright’s Pennine Journey, I began the usual process of reading about the walk and tracing the route on OS maps, something that I think the majority of hikers would agree is one of the most enjoyable parts of any long walk. In 2014, I set off to hike the Pennine Way, having barely recovered from a bout of shingles and once underway, soon realised that I was really not in a fit state for such a long and strenuous undertaking and reluctantly stopped walking at Keld. 

The following year, having spent many weeks training, I set off once again with a friend from Edale and over the following fifteen days, I had my most enjoyable long-distance hiking experience to date. 

Although my friend was forced to pull out at Middleton in Teesdale, I continued alone and after more than ten exhilarating hours battling the elements across the Cheviots on the last long day, I arrived in Kirk Yetholm from Byrness, my mind a mixture of elation and sadness that this superb hike was finished. 

On Malham Cove

I have many fond memories of the walk and as I pored over the OS maps, looking at the route of Wainwright’s Pennine Journey, I suddenly realised that I was continually following the line of the Pennine Way rather than the Wainwright walk, which I constantly pushed to the back of my mind as I relived my Pennine Way experiences at various points along the dotted line on the map, pausing to recall incidents as my mind drifted back to that memorable trek.

It suddenly dawned on me that, much as Wainwright’s walked appealed, it was the Pennine Way that was firing my imagination and I came to the conclusion that I would rather attempt the UK's oldest National Trail again before walking Wainwright's 1938 hike. Having made the decision to change my plans, I find that I am becoming excited at the prospect of returning to this fantastic trail and plan to set-off from Edale on August 5th, camping as often as possible, supplemented with occasional nights in BnB's. Who knows, I may even get to see The Cheviots this time!

At the Border Hotel, Kirk Yetholm

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. It would be even better if I knew who was commenting. 😁

      Delete
  2. Go for it Gary !!! All the best of luck for your repeat stroll 🤣🤣🤣👍👍

    ReplyDelete