Wednesday 17 October 2018

Alone Again Or? - Solo Hiking Land's End to John O'Groats

Cheddar LEJOG signpost taken on my Land's End to John O'Groats hike 2018
Much as I like hiking alone, there are times when it is nice to have some company, particularly on a hike such as my recent Lands End to John O'Groats hike where you are unlikely to meet anyone following the same route. I was therefore pleased when Mike, a friend of mine who lives near the village of Cheddar in Somerset, joined me for a day's hike over the Mendips. Initially, we followed the road out of Cheddar up through the gorge, the spectacular cliffs towering above us as we watched the wild goats clambering up the steeps rocky walls.

Wild goats in Cheddar gorge on my lands end to john o'groats hike
Wild Goats in Cheddar Gorge

Cheddar gorge on my lands end to john o'groats hike

My friend Mike on my Land's End to John O'Groats hike 2018

Near the top of the climb, we left the road and headed into the hills in the direction of Beacon Batch, the highest point of the Mendips, from where we had stunning views across the Bristol Channel into Wales and the surrounding countryside. After spending some time on the summit, we descended to Blagdon Lake before following the Monarch's Way to the village of Barrow Common where we relaxed with a couple of beers before Mike's wife collected us and drove us back to their house where I was treated to a great dinner and more beer, a perfect end to a great day's walk.

Me on Beacon Batch on my lands end to john o'groats hike

Sign on Beacon Batch, highest point of the Mendip Hills taken on my Land's End to John O'Groats hike 2018

My friend Mike on Beacon Batch, highest point of the Mendip Hills, taken on my Land's End to John O'Groats hike 2018

Descending Beacon Batch taken on my Land's End to John O'Groats hike 2018
On Beacon Batch, highest point of the Mendips

Blagdon Lake, taken on my Land's End to John O'Groats hike 2018
Blagdon Lake
The following day, as Mike waved me off from our previous day's finish point, I began to ponder my preference for solo hiking. Much as I had enjoyed walking with Mike, I was glad to be alone again, making my own way through the countryside. This contradiction is something that I ponder often when walking as, although I love walking alone, I also like to have someone to share the trail with, even if it's simply meeting another hiker doing the same trail or chatting to them in a campsite or pub in the evening.
Clifton Suspension Bridge on my lands end to john o'groats hike

Clifton Suspension Bridge  taken on my Land's End to John O'Groats hike 2018
Passing Clifton Suspension Bridge in heavy rain
M4 Bridge over the Severn taken on my Land's End to John O'Groats hike 2018

Severn Road Bridge over the Severn into Wales  taken on my Land's End to John O'Groats hike 2018
M4 & Severn road bridges
Now, having enjoyed Mike's company and hospitality the previous day and feeling re-energised, I resumed my Land's End to John o'Groats walk and hiked around Bristol in torrential rain before heading along the banks of the Severn and on into Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment