Saturday 8 June 2019

LEJOG Day 16 (37) & 17 (38) - Heptonstall to Slaidburn - May 12th & 13th 2019

The walk from Heptonstall to Kelbrook followed sections of the Pennine Way and Pennine Bridleway National Trails. This was to be my last section of the Pennine Way and I felt a slight pang of regret at my decision not to follow this wonderful trail to the border. The weather was the best so far on the walk and I relished hiking through the remote terrain in the perfect conditions. Passing Gorple Reservoir, I climbed through rough moorland before joining the Pennine Bridleway. As I reached a pass, the ground opened out in front of me and presented me with wonderful views of the surrounding countryside. I romped along the clear track with superb views opening out ahead across the towns of Burnley and Nelson and towards Pendle Hill. After more superb scenery on the Pennine Bridleway, I followed paths to Trawden from where I mostly road walked to Kelbrook, my overnight halt. 
The following day, 
I continued to follow sections of the Pennine Bridleway as well as the Lancashire Way and numerous quiet country lanes as I made my way to Slaidburn. This was more of a transition day across quiet countryside and although I had many good views of Pendle Hill, I missed the open country of the previous day and found the many miles of road walking tiring. Eventually, I arrived at the pretty village of Slaidburn where I was met by a friend and driven to his home in Giggleswick where I was made very welcome by him and his wife.

Distant view o Stoodley Pike

Gorple Reservoir on the Pennine Way

Leeds & Liverpool Canal

View to Pendle Hill


Ruins of Sawley Abbey

River Ribble

Pendle Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment