Monday 10 June 2019

LEJOG Day's 20 & 21 (41 & 42) - Arnside to Ulverston - May 16th & 17th 2019

Yesterday, was almost a rest day. After deciding I wanted to hike the entire Cumbria Way from Ulverston to Carlisle, I studied the map for some time and decided to take the train from Arnside to Grange over Sands across the estuary. This six minute train ride between the two stops saved a huge looping walk around the top of the estuary and although I wasn't overly happy at taking transport, my desire to walk all of the Cumbira Way overrode my desire to maintain the integrity of the walk. Having alighted from the train, I strolled around the pleasant town of Grange over Sands, stopping at a cafe along the promenade for tea with great  views of Morecambe Bay. I then followed a shoreline path the short distance to Kents Bank where I checked into a hotel for the night.
The walk to Ulverston from Kents Bank was a mostly delightful walk through quiet, low hills and forests, alongside rivers and seashore with great views to Morecambe Bay and the distant Lake District fells. The end of the walk degenerated into a struggle to find my way out of a boggy swamp that was supposed to have a path running through it according to the map. Having decided to turn around, I struggled to find my way out of the swampy woodland and after crashing around for some time, finally located a track leading to a country road into Ulverston. Tomorrow, I start the Cumbria Way to Carlisle.

Village of Cartmel
Crossing boggy ground
Morecambe Bay
Bridge on the River Leven
The Lake District comes into view
Walking alongside Morecambe Bay
The Hoad Monument in Ulverston

No comments:

Post a Comment